Home
Contents
Gallery
Letters
Artists
Contact Us
 
Image of detail of iron gate at Mount St. Mary's in Grass Valley
 

This image, a detail of an iron gate on the Church Street entrance to Mount St. Mary’s in Grass Valley, was made in 1976.

Mount St. Mary’s Convent and Academy was the first orphanage in the Northern Mines. Dedicated in 1865 it was operated by the Sisters of Mercy to care for and educate children orphaned by mining accidents. The orphanage served the community until 1932. The school and convent continued to operate until 1968. The building now houses the Grass Valley Museum.

Link to Grass Valley Museum website.


The Land of Glittering Dreams™
www.glittering.com
Copyright 1997 - 2011 Jo Ann and George Aiello. All Rights Reserved.