Home Contents Gallery Letters Artists Contact Us
 
Image is close up view of front of Emmanuel Church in Coloma
 

Emmanuel Church, built in 1856, is part of Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park in Coloma.

In August of 1885 James Marshall’s funeral was held in Emmanuel Church, which sits on a hill near the restored cabin he once occupied. He was then buried on top of the hill. Marshall had died a pauper in nearby Kelsey, bitter that he never had the recognition or prosperity from his gold discovery that he felt he deserved.

At the urging of the Native Sons of the Golden West and other organizations, the State commissioned a monument honoring Marshall which was placed on his grave site. The monument was officially dedicated in 1890 with a program attended by thousands. On top of the monument is a statue of Marshall pointing toward the site of his gold discovery on the American River on January 24, 1848, which began the California gold rush.

Link to Wikipedia page on Coloma.


The Land of Glittering Dreams™
www.glittering.com
Copyright 1997 - 2012 Jo Ann and George Aiello. All Rights Reserved.